Saturday, February 4, 2012

Hummus

My seven year old Preston loves hummus and this hummus was no exception.  He walked in from golfing with my husband, saw that I had made hummus, grabbed a piece of pita bread, smeared hummus all over it, took a bite and said, "I love this stuff!"


Hummus

2 garlic cloves
2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
4 tablespoon water
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
Dash of ground red pepper
Dash of smoked paprika
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is smooth.  Add additional water 1 teaspoon at a time to reach desired consistency.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  Serve chilled or at room temperature with pita bread or pita chips.

*I just pulled my hummus out of the fridge after it being in there for a few hours and it had thickened up, I just add some more water and it loosened right up.  You may need to reseason after adding additional water.

*Play with the spices.  I love the smoked paprika and usually add more than a dash.  I also like my hummus to warm the back of my throat and so I add additional ground red pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment