Monday, March 12, 2012

Vegetable Soup

I know soup season is nearly over, but this soup is so simple and so yummy.  I will have to say that while I was eating my soup for dinner tonight, I was feeling rather warm in temperature.  I think it was a combination of my soup being near boiling, Preston setting a full gallon of milk (with the lid off) down on the dinner table with a bit of force and milk shooting out the top and Stella filling her mouth up with milk and then hitting her cheeks with her hands leaving milk covering her face, shirt, and whatever was in front of her.  It was an eventful dinner to say the least!


Vegetable Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
2 (14-ounce) cans petit diced tomatoes, undrained
6 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of farfalle pasta (I used the mini ones)
Parmagiano Reggiano

In a large soup pot over medium heat add the oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper.  Cook until vegetables are just tender.  Add the tomatoes, water, 1 tablespoon kosher salt and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the pasta and cook until al dente.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  Serve with a good sprinkling of Parmigiano Reggiano.

*Since I posted this recipe, I have made this soup again and added diced zucchini to the pot during the last 10 or so minutes of cooking (so it didn't get too mushy).  I loved it!

Adapted from Butterfly Foodie

1 comment:

  1. Just came across your blog. YUM! I had no idea you were a cook. I am going to make this soup soon.

    ReplyDelete