Thursday, October 8, 2015

Roasted Chunky Applesauce

A couple of days ago I went to get some apples from Allred Orchard's and they happened to have a big box of Honey Crisp apples that were "seconds" for nine dollars (a total steal).  The apples were all different sizes, slightly lopsided, and had a few minor bumps and bruises, but were no less delicious than my eight dollar bag of pretty ones that I bought the week before.

So needless to say that with a fridge full of apples, I've got apples on the brain.  This morning I made a batch of roasted chunky applesauce that had me dancing around the kitchen and getting all tight inside.  My house smelled amazing!  I think Preston and Stella thought I was crazy, but with all these apples, their endless eating possibilities, and the feeling of fall in the air, I couldn't contain my excitement (or another spoonful of applesauce).

 
Roasted Chunky Applesauce

3 1/2 pounds crisp eating apples (I used Honey Crisp)
Pinch of kosher salt
1-2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks.

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Peel, core, and quarter the apples.  Put them in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish (it should be large enough to hold them in a crowded single layer).  Toss the apples with 1 teaspoon of sugar (or 2 teaspoons if the apples are very tart), and a good pinch of kosher salt. 

Dot the apples with butter and cover baking dish tightly with foil.  Bake until the apples start to soften, about 20-30 minutes. 

Remove the foil; raise the heat to 500° F.  Bake the apples for 10-15 minutes, or until the tips of the apples are golden and the fruit is tender.  Remove from the oven, and coarsely mash the apples with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon.  Taste and season applesauce with additional salt and/or sugar if necessary.  A splash of apple cider vinegar could be used to brighten the flavor.

Recipe adapted from Orangette

No comments:

Post a Comment