Saturday, September 9, 2017

My Beehive Pizza

I'd probably say that my two favorite foods are pizza and hamburgers.  (I kind of feel like a little kid when I say that. Haha!)  If I'm going out for pizza, my favorite place is Pizzeria 712.  Todd and I usually share the sausage pizza with roasted peppers, but right now they have a corn pizza with leek soubise, bacon, and ricotta that is definitely one of my seasonal favorites.  I also love their speck pizza and I always order a side of arugula to pile on top.  For a burger, hands down, Habit Grill.  It's cheap and it's the burger I always crave.  An added bonus is that Habit fries are always hot (the sweet potato ones are my favorite).  When you have the choice between ketchup or fry sauce for your fries, which one would you choose?  I like ketchup for regular fries and fry sauce for sweet potato. Picky, picky.

This summer we've eaten pizza a lot, A LOT.  Todd and I went to Pizza Nono in Salt Lake a few month back and ordered a pizza called the Beehive.  This pizza is my version of the Beehive.  It's topped with Calabrese, pickled jalapenos, and a drizzle of honey that makes it just about perfect.  Someday in my dream backyard, I will have a pizza oven, but until then, a pizza stone on my grill and a quick trip under the broiler before serving makes my pizza dreams come true.  (Oh and I've been using Alexandra Cooks peasant pizza dough recipe from her cookbook Bread Toast Crumbs.  The dough comes together in minutes and makes having pizza for dinner a cinch.)


My Beehive Pizza

Dough: (This recipe (I doubled it) is the best and comes from the cookbook Bread Toast Crumbs by Alexandra Stafford)

4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 cup lukewarm water

Toppings:

Tomato sauce
Calabrese
Fresh mozzarella, torn into chunks
Pickled jalapenos
Finely grated Parmesan cheese
Honey

In large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and yeast.  Add the water.  Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix until the liquid is absorbed and the ingredients form a sticky ball.  If the dough seems dry, add water a teaspoon or two at a time (you want it to be sticky).  Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and set aside in a warm spot to rise for 1 1/2 hours, or until the dough has nearly doubled in size.

Once the dough has risen, using two forks, deflate the dough by releasing it from the sides of the bowl and pulling it toward the center.  Rotate the bowl quarter turns as you deflate, turning the dough into a round ball.

Divide the dough into 3 equal portions.  Spread flour on a clean surface.  Using the forks lift (or just kind of scoop out) each portion of dough onto the floured surface.  With floured hands, shape each dough portion into a ball, using the pinkie-edges of your hands to pinch the dough underneath the ball. Let the dough balls rest for at least 20 minutes without touching.

Place a baking stone on a 4-burner gas grill right in the middle.  Turn the grill on and heat on high (all burners) for 20 minutes with the lid closed.  Once the grill has preheated for 20 minutes, turn the two middle burners to low.

While the grill is heating, place a piece of parchment paper on an upside down baking sheet (I use 3 baking sheets with a piece of parchment on each upside baking sheet, one baking sheet for each dough ball.)  With floured hands, gently stretch outward.  Then with the back of your hands, stretch the round more, using additional flour if needed.  Be careful to preserve the pockets of air trapped in the dough.  Place dough on parchment-lined baking sheet and stretch more if necessary (this is always necessary for me).  Repeat with the remaining dough balls.  (I like to trim some of the excess parchment around each pizza before I put it on the grill.)

Spread each pizza with a thin layer of sauce, calabrese, fresh mozzarella, pickled jalapenos, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of flaky salt (if you want).  Slide the parchment paper with the pizza onto the grill.  The parchment paper makes it easy to get the pizza on and off the baking stone.  Bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown on the bottom. 

Ok, here's my trick (It's actually not really a trick, but I think it makes the pizza extra delicious by giving the air bubbles on the crust and the cheese some good char marks).  Before you start cooking your pizza, preheat your broiler.  Once the pizza is nearly finished on the grill (it's ok if the cheese hasn't reached it's full melty goodness potential, the broiler will take care of that) pull it back onto the upside down baking sheet and slide the parchment paper out from underneath the pizza (you don't want it to catch on fire under the broiler....not good).  Place pizza under the broiler and cook until the cheese is bubbly and the crust has some char marks.  Remove from oven and sprinkle pizza liberally with grated parmesan and a drizzle of honey over the entire pizza.  Slice and Serve.

I know this may seem a bit lengthy, but I promise once you do it a couple times, you'll be a pizza grilling pro.  You'll learn how your grill heats and whether or not you need to adjust the grill temperature.  Have fun with the toppings and remember that more toppings isn't necessarily better.  Go for simple!

Oh and here's the recipe for my favorite tomato sauce.  It takes just a few minutes to throw together and always makes more than I need so I freeze the extra in 1/2 cup portions in baggies.  This is awesome because it makes pizza night even easier.

Tomato Sauce

28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt

Mix the crushed tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil together.  Add salt until the sauce goes from tasting blah to good (or as good as cold tomato sauce can taste...haha).

21 comments:

  1. Breanna this is so beautiful! I just went to a local pizza cooking class and my favorite pizza was topped with — after the pizza cooked— pickled fennel and peppers. It was so good! Love the sound of this Beehive one. Have you been to Roberta's? If you ever make it out east to Brooklyn you've got to go and get their Bee-sting pizza. Similar to the beehive. Thank you for featuring Bread Toast Crumbs on your blog! Means the world. As always, I love your photography. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent website! I adore how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am questioning how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. Looking for more new updates. Have a great day! best pizza in tempe az

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent website! I adore how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am questioning how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. Looking for more new updates. Have a great day!
    Pizzeria senza glutine pescara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! This is looking a yummy pizza and Thanks for sharing this blog with me!!
    ladies handbags in pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Die Pizza sieht mal richtig klasse aus.Da läuft mir echt so richtig das Wasser im Munde zusammen.Ganz ganz klasse !Werde ich mal beim Bringdienst Dresden vorschlagen.Lg Eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. The assembly of the feel-good hormone within the body. You see, getting a surf body doesn't necessarily mean getting to the gym and stepping into heavy weight training.Smart Robot System

    ReplyDelete
  8. best pizza recipe mostly girls like pizza as they like Stylish handbags. Click here for handbag designs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm extremely glad to visit your educational Post. Pizza Slice Boxes Bundling boxes are truly vital for any sort of item. Assuming you need to pack your items in an upscale manner then, at that point, utilize these Bath Bomb Boxes with redid plans, styles, tones, shapes, and stocks. We are additionally offering blunder free plans and free delivery benefits all around the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next post Black Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been a pleasure reading all the articles on this website. I hope to see more similar posts in the future. Womens Shearling Jackets

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly that love and read more on this topic. If possible, such as gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is very useful for me. Black Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm astoundingly happy to visit your illuminating Post. Pizza Slice Boxes Bundling boxes are truly key for any sort of thing. To pack your things in a smooth manner then, at that point, utilize these Pizza Slice Boxes with changed plans, styles, tones, shapes, and stocks. We are likewise offering screw up free outline and free transportation helps all around the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for writing this quality informational content. Your writing technique is impressive and enjoyable to read. If you want about custom packaging boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for writing this quality informational content. Your writing technique is impressive and enjoyable to read. If you want about top eCommerce company in india.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A handbag carried during the day is usually larger than the one that you'll be taking to dinner. No matter what the occasion, it is never appropriate to put one's handbag on the table-it is considered extremely rude no matter how expensive or beautiful it is. We often place our handbag on the kitchen counter, a bench, and some even momentarily meet the floor so for hygiene reasons alone, it is not acceptable. Handbags for women

    ReplyDelete
  17. The appearance of Style247 on the screen is nothing less than a breath of fresh air in the fashion industry. Here you can have your desired wonderful handbags at reasonable prices. As ladies are fond of collecting different styles and sizes of handbags, so Style247 is the right place for you, where you can easily go through all the available styles and designs of handbags online and can grab your favourite one with just a single click.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish you all the best for upcoming comments. I am also wanted to write blog kindly guide me if my topic is wholesale diamond suppliers then what should I do first and how will I create new and unique content on this topic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for such a valuable post. I am waiting for your next post . I am also wanted to write blog kindly guide me if my topic is Buy women's leather shearling collar jacket then what should I do first and how will I create new and unique content on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wish you all the best for upcoming comments. I am also wanted to write blog kindly guide me if my topic is wholesale diamond

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for writing this quality informational content.

    ReplyDelete